The Holidays are a time for giving and sharing. It is also time for businesses to decorate their offices and host company gatherings.
8 Holiday Party Safety Tips
An average of 15,000 people go to emergency rooms each holiday season from injuries related to decorating for the holidays. To help prevent such injuries, keep these tips in mind:
- Use the correct ladder for the job. Do not stand on chairs or other furniture.
- “Angel Hair” is made of spun glass and should be handled using gloves.
- Watch out for frayed electrical cords or broken glass bulbs when handling lights.
- Make sure paths and exits are kept clear of decorations, and floors are free of discarded wrapping paper.
- Do not overload electrical outlets.
- Keep combustibles at least three feet away from heat sources including lights.
- Use only UL (Underwriters Laboratory) listed decorations and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for use.
- Unplug all decorations at the end of the business day.
- Be sure to let everyone know what the ingredients are to prevent reactions from food intolerances or allergies.
- Keep fresh party food refrigerated before and after the event, and stored properly to prevent cross contamination.
- Do not leave perishable foods out for extended periods.
- Wash hands frequently.